Tuesday 4 June 2013

Vignette: Oh, what a perfect day ...

Oops, missed out half the title.

Vignette: Oh, what a perfect day ... this should have been but wasn't

Today was a lovely day in Fife.  That's a very rare thing.  Really gorgeous day weather wise.   Lovely to sit outside.  

I didn't have to go to work.  I could work at home and didn't have that much to do. 

The other day I sent a draft paper to a very senior and highly respected colleague and today he said - among other things: "In my opinion everything is said in Thm13, which is sufficiently beautiful in itself :-)"   Yes, I'm boasting a wee bit here, but honestly there isn't much higher praise one could want from a colleague than to have your work described as beautiful. 

I got time to have a nap. It took a while but I found time to have a long run and that helps me physically and I think mentally. 

What a great day.   

Ha ha ha. 

I've been miserable all day.   I can't put my finger on why.   But the symptoms have been lots of negative thoughts (I am the worst person in the world, I want to kill myself), lots of internal or external swearwords at my poor performance in some area, getting more worried or upset than I should about external things that I should not be worrying about.  Just the usual kind of stuff. 

A few days ago my tablets ran out. Escitalopram. I had been slow to get them renewed (which is a trivial operation.)  Generally I have been doing well but not so much today.   But I think the correlation is less important than it sounds, except that failure to do the trivial task that was necessary is a bad sign. At least I went to get them renewed today so will be back on them soon.

Almost the only time I haven't been miserable today is when I was mentally composing this blog post on my run - but unfortunately that only took up a part of my run.

p.s. if you are new here, here's the link to where I explain that I don't want to kill myself even if I say I do to myself.   http://depressedacademics.blogspot.co.uk/2013/02/i-dont-want-to-kill-myself.html

3 comments:

  1. Ian, thanks for posting this. The weather was lovely here too. But I felt something internally brewing as well.

    The thought I want to kill myself is one I often stumble on at doctor or therapy appointments for various reasons, some of which you describe in your other post.

    Now, is it a thought or sensations too? I guess maybe I am thinking of myself in the sense that I use to self-injure. About several times the past couple of days, I have thought I want to hurt myself. I can even feel the sensation of hurting myself. I don't. It's like I'll get distracted. I don't have a fancy mantra like you. But I just know and feel it's not worth it. But suicidal thinking (?)-- do you have visualizations too? Or is it just a constant bothering thought?

    In the anchoring post, I believe the link links to a mindfulness exercise of sorting thoughts, feelings, sensations into boxes in your head. I've also done guided meditation where there is a garbage bin or a locked safe--somewhere you can put your negative stuff into for a safer or more relaxed time.

    Mindfulness (or formalized meditation) can be difficult to do when depressed though. I found it a burden to even put my CD into my disc player. But after listening to audio versions online (even when I am feeling fine or multitasking) or on my phone, I have gotten into a pattern of doing these things automatically when in a distressed state.



    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oops, and I forgot to add: Boast away! Much better than I want to kill myself mentally cropping up all the time.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Comment policy:
We reserve the right to edit all comments. In particular, we will not tolerate phobic content (race, sex, gender, sexual orientation, nationality, religion, mental health status, etc.) nor personal attacks or threats toward another commenter, significantly off-topic, or is an obvious trolling attempt.